HR Administrators Dashboard / Important News & Announcements
Now That COVID-19 Vaccines Are Here, What’s Next?
Employer News & Updates from CareFirst Administrators, January 2021
States have begun rolling out distribution of the FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, with more vaccines on the horizon. This has likely prompted many questions, and we want to keep you in the know.
In addition to the highlights below, more details are available on our new COVID-19 Vaccine webpage. We’ve also created an email template to help you share this information with your employees. Please contact Sarah Robinson for this email template.
- Coverage for the vaccines—CareFirst Administrators members will pay $0 for any authorized vaccine, regardless of manufacturer.
- Coverage for testing—CareFirst Administrators members pay $0 for the diagnosis and testing of COVID-19.
- When can my employees receive the vaccine? It depends on where they live. While the Centers for Disease Control provided guidelines on vaccine distribution, each state decides who gets vaccinated first, and when. Learn more about the vaccine distribution plans in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Virginia. Or for information on COVID-19 vaccination in your area, contact your local health department.
- How will the COVID-19 vaccine claims be billed? COVID-19 vaccine claims will process the same as other vaccines, like the flu, currently process under your plan. If your employees get the vaccine from an in-network covered provider, like their primary care provider, it will process as a medical claim. Or they may also receive the vaccine from a pharmacy that participates with your prescription benefits carrier.
- About the vaccines—We’ve prepared comprehensive FAQs, articles on the science behind the vaccines and more on our COVID-19 Vaccine webpage. As new information is made available, we’ll continue to update the information and resources on this site. You can also follow us on social for more news and updates.