My employee (or their dependent) was billed by their provider for expenses I do not think they should have been billed for. Who can they contact for help with this?


Health Advocate’s experts will take on virtually any healthcare or administrative issue for your employees, their dependents, their parents, or their in-laws!  If they have received a bill or have a claim that they need help with, they can call Health Advocate at 866.799.2728 or email to have their own personal health advocate tackle the issue for them!  If authorizations are required to resolve your inquiry, the Advocate assigned to your case will send your employee (or their dependent) any required authorizations forms electronically.